My Personal Experience from Interning in a Non-Fitness Related Company - Part 1/3

Consider the following situation; I get into office by 10am, turn on my laptop that's loaned by the company and start doing whatever is given by my supervisor. At about 12pm or sometimes 1pm, I'll go out for lunch with my colleagues. Usual place to eat is hawker center, sometimes in noodle shops (yuck!).

I'll get back to office after lunch which usually takes less than 60 minutes. Once I get back into office, it's all sitting again, until 6pm, where I will be the first to leave office, rushing through the traffic jam for my next PT session.

Starting from 10am until 6pm, that's about 8 hours of sitting.

End of the day, I'll feel the side effects of it. I felt lethargic, lower back ache, tight hips and stiff shoulders. I get all these side effects even I've done everything I need to from; getting up and walk as often as possible, perform the cobra pose to reduce the stress on my lower back, rotating my arms and retracting my shoulders to counter the effect from using the keyboard. But, all the side effects were still there, could have been worst if I didn't do anything. Honestly, it didn't felt good at all and I wonder how people actually dislike moving their body and prefer sitting, that includes parking their car as close as possible to where they want to go.

Looking at what studies have to say about effects of prolonged sitting, I am glad that it was only a 2 months internship and I'm in a profession that requires me to move a lot! And if your job requires you to be sitting, consider breaking up your prolonged sitting for the sake of your health.

Take Home Message:
Getting your work done is important, but  breaking up your prolonged sitting is much more important for a healthier you.

Comments