Experience and Observation during Internship in a Non-Fitness Related Company

One of the requirement to complete my long overdue BA (Hons) Psychology, I was interning in a company that specializes in behavioral and mindset change for organizations. It was for 2 months, started on 3rd Jan 2012 and ended on 29th Feb 2012, this explains the lack of update on this blog. I'm thankful that my chapter at University has finally ended and I can now focus on being a full time fitness professional.

Over the 2 months, I rise every morning at 4am; conduct Personal Training sessions from 5:30am to 8:30am, and rush to be in office by 10am. I leave office by 6pm and face the traffic jam for at least 90minutes before I conduct one last Personal Training session at 8pm. By the time I'm home I have to design training session programs for my clients for the following day. If I'm lucky, I get to bed by 11pm. The cycle repeated until 29th Feb 2012, and it's a great relieve the moment I drove out of the office compound on my last day, knowing that I could fully focus on my clients, my own training and recovery without being tied down from a 10am - 5pm office job anymore. And yes, my apologies to all my clients for the reduction of their weekly training sessions as I had make sure every client of mine get their share of sessions weekly, with the tight time I have in hands.

I'll be very honest to tell you that for the past 6 months I've not been training myself in a consistent and structured manner, first it was due to my final year project, followed by the internship. None the less, I make sure I get at least 10 minutes of bodyweight workout daily, despite the lack of sleep and rest.

My colleagues in the office wonder, where do I get all my energy ( they called me hyper ) despite me getting to bed so late and rising so early. Saturday and Sundays were sacred days to get rest, Monday and Tuesday are days where I am most energetic, Wednesday to Friday are days where I can hallucinate that my working desk is a bed. I have to admit I was darn tired every day, but I believe that my choice of food and my physical conditioning definitely helped in keeping me going through the 2 months period.

By the way, I was attached to their research and development department, where I had to sit in front of a laptop to research whatever the company needs to deliver to their clients. Trust me, I really felt that the number of hours sitting down made me felt more tired sitting down. I would take every opportunity to find work that requires me to walk and stand in the office, that way I felt more energetic.

I'll share more about my experience during my 2 months internship in an office setting in 3 separate blog post. Stay tuned :)

Comments