Coming Out of Retirement

I'm trying to make myself sound like some big superstar athlete who came out of retirement. Oh yeah!


Just few hours ago, I landed a silver medal from MAPCU Taekwondo Tournament, contributing to today's 1 Gold and 3 Silvers for UCSI University Taekwondo team.

I never thought I would be competing in Taekwondo anymore since my knee surgery ( ACL reconstruction and meniscus repair ) in 2005 after snapping them during a District Level Taekwondo Tournament, and re-snapped 3 months later for rushing into training ( yes, I had two surgeries on the same knee within 3 months).

Despite not training Taekwondo specifically at all since my knee surgery, I am pretty proud to say I lost in the final 7-8, missing the Gold medal by a point - which I personally think I should have scored at least 10 points for having more than 3 kicks (which lands properly) on the opponent's head.

Would I start competing actively in Taekwondo again? Hell yeah!

Take home message? 
Never be too fast to write off anything. With desire, right knowledge and action plan, you can achieve what you want to achieve. In my case, what made it worked was a strong desire from me to compete, combined with right sports and exercise science knowledge, I planned a safe and appropriate physical conditioning training to prepare for this competition.

Comments